Drug trafficking is a punishable crime in New Jersey. It is untitled under four different degrees. The following video shows the categorization of four different degrees. For more information, contact drug crime attorneys at The Law Office of Joel Silberman, LLC. Call 201-420-1913, email at email@example.com.
New Jersey laws and penalties for drug trafficking depend on the amount of substances involved while caught. The crime is categorized into 4 different degrees. Drug trafficking laws and penalties under different degrees are:
1st degree: 1st degree has fines up to $500,000 or at least ten (and up to 20) years in prison or both when one is caught with the following:
- 5 pounds or more of marijuana
- 5 pounds or more of hashish, 5 oz. or more of methamphetamine
- 100 milligrams or more of LSD or 10 or more grams of PCP
- 5 ounces or more of P2P
- 5 oz. or more of heroin and cocaine
2nd degree: 2nd degree has fines up to $75,000 or at least five (and up to ten) years in prison or both when one is caught with:
- 5 pounds but less than 25 pounds of marijuana
- One pound but less than 5 pounds of hashish
- ½ oz. but less than 5 oz. of methamphetamine
- ½ oz. but less than 5 oz. of heroin and cocaine
- Less than 100 milligrams of LSD or less than 10 grams of PCP
- ½ ounce or more, but less than 5 ounces of P2P
- 1 ounce or more of methadone, mescaline, peyote, opium, DMT, magic mushrooms, amphetamines (Ritalin)
3rd degree: 3rd degree carries a fine of up to $150,000 or at least three (and up to five) years in prison or both when caught with:
- 1 oz. but less than 5 pounds of marijuana
- 5 grams but less than one pound of hashish
- Less than ½ oz. of methamphetamine
- Less than ½ oz.of heroin and cocaine
- Less than 1 ounce of methadone, mescaline, peyote, opium, DMT, magic mushrooms, amphetamines (Ritalin)
- Less than ½ ounce of P2P
4th degree: Drug trafficking which involve less than one ounce of marijuana, less than 5 grams of hashish or any amount of a Schedule V substance incurs a fine of up to $25,000, up to 18 months in prison or both.
Drug trafficking within 1,000 feet of school premises incurs at least one year of imprisonment for less than 1 oz. of marijuana and 3 years for other drugs.
Drug trafficking within 500 feet of a public space or property can include penalties with a fine of up to $150,000, or 5 to 10 years imprisonment, or both.
Drug Crime Defense Attorney
If you are charged with drug trafficking, then it is important to contact an experienced drug crime defense lawyer. The Law Offices of Joel Silberman is known for giving full devotion and attention to each client’s case. Call today at 201-420-1913. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org. We serve throughout New Jersey.
On November 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM, two brothers selling drugs from their home were arrested after a probe by Bergen County police. One brother was charged with various drug offenses, including possession with the intent to distribute cocaine and possession with the intent to distribute cocaine in a school zone.
Another brother was arrested on charges of having cocaine, marijuana and prescription pills, also with the intent to distribute in a school zone. The brothers were held at the Bergen County Jail on $40,000 bail, with no 10% option.
Attorney Joel Silberman is a drug offense attorney who can handle any type of drug related offense in New Jersey. He is experienced and knowledgeable. If you have been charged for a drug related offense in New Jersey, then contact Attorney Joel Silberman at 201-420-1913.